Episode VI: Return of the Winkler

For the record, adjusting to an 11-hour time difference is quite difficult. :) So here I am, up at 7 AM on a Monday.

I had an interesting time in China. I'm going to save my in-depth observations for my own blog, since they are going to end up being kind of long and self-indulgent. My goal is to officially launch my jerseybound site with its own original design and a series of new posts about my China trip, so you probably won't see these musings just yet. I should probably write them now, though, so that I don't forget. I mean I wrote notes when I was over there, but with time, the actual impressions, feelings, and memories will fade, and I don't want to lose those.

But, regardless of all that, I'll give you a brief synopsis of my trip.

After harrowing experiences in the Beijing airport, which involved me missing my flight due to airport shenanigans, I finally arrived in Yantai, Shandong province, on Sunday evening around midnight. I stayed overnight at my brother's apartment, and the next day he showed me around his town. We walked around a lot, and saw stuff, and ate Chinese food (duh). We also had some drinks at a nice-ish restaurant, in which I was first exposed to the Chinese love for American '80s-'90s easy listening music.

The next day, we left for Shanghai. Our experiences in Shanghai were unfortunately less than stellar; it rained every day we were there, all day, except for the last day we were there. But we still managed to find stuff to do, and met up with a co-worker of Matt's on one of the days. We saw some museums, and walked around a lot.

Our original plan was to visit Hangzhou, a town that is known for its beautiful lake and ancient Buddhist temples and pagodas, as a day trip while we were still staying in Shanghai. We were then going to take an overnight train to Guangzhou, the town that borders Hong Kong, and then proceed on to Hong Kong.

Due to train station shenanigans (I will go into greater detail about this at some point), and the fact that the train actually ended up being something like 37 hours, we ended up not taking the train, and instead taking the travel day to instead stay in Hangzhou. We took the train and arrived in Hangzhou, Zheijiang province, on I think Saturday. The next day, we spent a very nice day walking around the lake, visiting ancient things. I have good pictures of giant 60-foot Buddhas. Awesome.

The next day, we flew into Shenzhen, a city that borders Hong Kong. A great description of this place would be "a shithole." We wasted no time in catching the train to Hong Kong.

Our time spent in Hong Kong was awesome. Highlights included hiking to the top of picturesque Victoria Peak, and our day spent at Lamma Island, a large island near Hong Kong Island, that was very much a sleepy seaside place, with great seafood and plentiful beer. :D Oh, and beaches! It happened to be pretty warm that day, mid to upper 70s. So that worked out. We got to go out to bars in Hong Kong, which we didn't do so much in mainland China (the Chinese don't really go to bars too much, so any bars were full of western businessmen and hookers), so that was fun.

Overall, it was a good trip, though I often craved the familiarity of home. Food was especially harrowing, especially in some of the smaller towns, though actually Hangzhou had some of the best food of our trip (and no doubt the best Chinese food I've ever had).

So that's the Cliff's Notes. Stay tuned for the full version!

9 comments:

ApexTek said...

Hey Keith!!!

I am glad you're back! (For the record, I am up at 6:30 every day without a time difference, but I know you usually don't have to bre at work until later, so I will let you pass)...

Anyway, your trip sounded exciting and I will need to hear more details. I would suggest once you get your site up to give us a tease here with a link to your site.

As for these transportation "Shenanigans," I will certainly need to hear more. I am glad you came out in once piece though...

Despite the trouble at the Airport, how was the acutal flight? How many hours was it? and would that make it your longest flight? I know the trip to New Zealand was a along one, but it didn't feel so bad since I was jazzed to be on my way. Anyway, looking ofrward to an update!

Joe

Jess said...

Hey! Welcome back Wink! :) Sounds like a great trip! Do you have pictures to post or are you saving those for your own website?

This is probalby a weird and random question, but did you see any interesting animals anywhere during your trip that would be unsuual?

It's weird...I feel like I have flown on more flights than anyone I know (except maybe Pippin G. Cat ;), and yet have probably been to the fewest number of places...hmm...just a dolber musing...talk amongst yourselves. :)

Jess

Jess said...

Oh yeah...so the Chinese don't beveragize themselves as much as we do, huh? I am, however, fascinated by the interest in American 80s and 90s music... what songs did you hear there?

Keith said...

Oh, the Chinese beveragize themselves, all right. It's just not the same kind of "drinking culture." They draw out dinner for many hours and drink at the restaurant. It's just not so much a go-out-to-bars sort of thing. The only people who seem to do that in mainland China are overseas businessmen looking for hookers.

One of the songs I remembered hearing a lot, Jess, was "(Everything I Do) I Do It for You" by Bryan Adams, aka "the song from the Kevin Costner Robin Hood movie." :) I also heard "The Chicken Dance" performed by a Filipino cover band and witnessed an entire bar of young people enthusiastically performing said dance along with it. I took a video on my camera.

The actual flight from Newark To Yantai (where my brother is) took about 13 hours to Beijing, then maybe an hour and a half more to Yantai... and yes, it is the longest flight I've ever been on.

Joe: As for airport shenangians, apparently, in the Beijing airport, they have these crazy check-in rules. For example, let's say my flight leaves at 3:00. The check-in window will be open for that flight from around noon until 2:00. Or maybe even just 1:00 to 2:00. If you miss that window, even though there's a good hour before your flight takes off, you cannot check in. I learned this the hard way. It's very different from the way U.S. airports will generally try their hardest to get you on the plane you need to be on, even if you are late.

I may be home sick tomorrow, since I feel like crap (everyone at work is sick), so if I am, I will maybe write up some posts for my own site.

Keith said...

Since this ended up on the front page of the site, I figured I ought to add some tidbits.

But then I decided, why don't I write this little gem up on my own site, and link to it. This is less because I don't think it belongs here, and more because I want to jumpstart my own site.

http://www.jerseybound.com/blog/?p=7
Also, I have enabled comments on my site, so hopefully someone will make some comments about my amusing (I hope) tale.

ApexTek said...

Good First post. I am glad I wasn't there :)

Also, do you know why when you put up a link on the blog it doesn't come up as hypertext? Just curious.

Another Also... What othe rplans do you have for your web page?

Keith said...

You would probably actually need to make a hyperlink in html (like this) in order for it to show up that way.

As for my plans for the site... I'm not really sure. My original plan was to just keep track of the trips I take (I figured that I'd still just use this site for any regular random blogging). But now I can see a different tone developing on that site from the way I write on here. So maybe there is some everyday blogging I could do on there too.

I might also set up a portfolio section, if for nothing else than for the sake of saving old sites I've done that are or will be removed from their locations.

ApexTek said...

Sounds like a good plan, provided that you do not stop blogging here :)

I have just coached Jess up on the new changes to the blog and we agreed that more frequent blogging is necessary.

Keith said...

I wouldn't worry about that. I intend to keep the types of subject matter fairly separate.

And... I agree with the more frequent blogging idea. And I think that this Google Groups idea can only help us in this mission. Now get those test things off the front page! ;)