My trip!

Since you all requested details...

FRIDAY
Left around 9:30 PM, drove until I was falling asleep. Stayed near State College PA in a Holiday Inn.

SATURDAY
Drove to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland OH. It was snowing and freezing rain, but yet I valiantly trooped on into the museum through inches-thick slush. Drove from there into Indiana, where I stayed near South Bend IN. Ate near Toledo OH at the Maumee Brewing Company. Their Beer Cheese Chicken was excellent. Their beers were just okay.

SUNDAY
Arrived in Chicago around noon, checked in. Didn't do much on Sunday; I walked around the neighborhood of the hotel, went out to the famous Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Company for their "pizza pot pie" for dinner (their house salad was also incredible), and sat in the hotel bar for the remainder of the evening reading (and drinking).

MONDAY
Walked to Lincoln Park Zoo, saw the zoo, then ate dinner at a restaurant that was more or less forgettable.

TUESDAY
Walked to the Shedd Aquarium, the Field Museum (their natural history museum), and the Sears Tower, were I went up on the observation deck (called the "Skydeck" -- biggest rip off ever; 10 bucks to see a 10 minute movie about Chicago and take an elevator up to an enclosed lookout point). The Field Museum was the highlight, as the aquarium didn't really measure up to others I'd been to like the Baltimore Aquarium or the New England Aquarium in Boston. I ate dinner at the famous Pizzeria Uno, waited an hour for my pizza (as you apparently always do there), and in the meantime got very drunk on their Uno's Amber, which was quite good.

WEDNESDAY
Drove home. Left at 8:30 AM Chicago time, arrived home at 9:30 PM Wayne time.

15 comments:

Jess said...

So I am having trouble telling from your commentary if this trip was everything you'd hoped for. :)

Keith said...

Well yeah, I think there might be a lack of emotion in that post. So let me say this: The first day that I got there, I was completely ecstatic. I walked around in the sun, just relaxed and reveled in everything. I got to do what I wanted, when I wanted to. The only thing I had to get used to was eating meals at restaurants alone, but with a book on the table and a beer in my hand even that was something I ended up looking forward to.

By Tuesday night, I was definitely ready to go home; I had had enough of vacation. But that doesn't take away from the fact that I returned to work today very refreshed.

Keith said...

And wait... Joe, what did you mean about "both versions"?

ApexTek said...

I am glad you had a fun trip. Cat doesn't believe your rating of the Shedd Aquarium, however. :)

As for this both versions, it wasn't me. It was Jess. Jess, Waht did you mean? :)

Keith said...

She doesn't believe my rating because she's been there and she loved it? Or she doesn't believe my rating because she heard it's the best one? I liked it because there were non-fish animals that I hadn't seen in aquariums before, but I felt that the layout of the aquarium (all on pretty much one floor except for the dolphin show area, everything just kind of arranged in a circle around a medium sized reef tank) gave it less of the feeling of a journey or experience than I've gotten in other aquariums. I feel that half of what makes an aquarium good is presentation, and Shedd didn't seem to pay much attention to that.

Jess said...

Sorry for the confusion. :) What I meant was, Joe had written that without details, he'd have to come up with his own version of the trip. So I was interested in hearing both of your interpretations of the events. :)

ApexTek said...

Jess- ah, I see :)

Keith- I am not sure she has actually been there before, but I definitely understand what you are saying about presentation. I would need to check with her, but I would guess her statement is based on the types of fish and sea animals that are said to be there.

Jess said...

I think I am going to the Boston aquarium next Wednesday. I'm looking forwar to it..haven't been there since I was 12. :)

Keith said...

Nice! When should I come up and visit?

Keith said...

Wait, there is a guy now. Do I need to stay in a hotel? I mean, that's cool if I do.

Jess said...

No Keith,
You don't need to stay in a hotel. There is a guy, and as well as things are going, I have gone out with him like four times and he lives in NH and he would totally understand if I had a friend come stay with me for a weekend. :) But man, is that fun...saying...yes, there is a guy. :) My classes end this week. I'm going to be out of town the next two weekends after that...maybe some time in May? It would be awesome to see you. I'll keep you posted.

Keith said...

Ha, nice. I have a girl too, but I have decided she is crazy and I am probably going to end things tonight. Fun! Wish me luck. :)

ApexTek said...

So, did you cut bait with the cazy girl?

Keith said...

Hold on just a second there, professor. We fixed the glitch. She won't be receiving a paycheck anymore, so things will just work themselves out naturally.

ApexTek said...

ah, I see. :)